Sunday 31 October 2010

Trick or Treat

As a kid growing up in a Jesuit school in provincial Spain, Halloween was a sort of taboo. One just "didn't do" Halloween; it was a pagan, weird celebration. In love with Tim Burton films and horror films in general, I used to be so jealous on 31 October, thinking how Americans were probably having lots of fun, sweeties, pumpkins and all the rest, while I was just sitting down celebrating... nothing. If only I would have known then and there that it was to become such a popular holiday some years later! Alas, now I'm too old to go around the neighbourhood asking for sweets, but I do love being able to celebrate Halloween at last. And I have realized I'm not the only one.
However, I admit I haven't completely made up my mind yet about my costume (I have to get dressed during the next hour and I'm still lazying and blogging!) I have decided against any really modern or original costumes; I just feel like putting on lots of the old corpse-y makeup, a creepy wig and some vampire-like rags.
Still a big fan of Tim Burton (of his old films anyway, I find his latest movies incredibly dreary, except for the fact that Johnny Depp is still in them, but that's another story), my first choice was 1950's TV presenter Maila Nurmi, better known as Vampira, played by Lisa Marie in Burton's film Ed Wood. The costume is simple, feminine and very effective.

Thinking of another one of my Burton favourites, Winona Ryder's character in Beetlejuice is another great option: more black clothes, a huge hat covered in black lace and a slightly sick look: that's me all over! Although maybe people won't even notice I'm in disguise...

I have always thought Salem's witches are a good costume idea, and a really scary one: those puritan XVIIth century black dresses are quite something, and the thought that I might have had to wear that kind of fashion had I been born at that time absolutely terrifies me!
For a truly original yet recognizable option, I totally recommend to get dressed as Frankenstein's bride. Finding a wig like Elsa Lanchester's might be a bit of a challenge, but if you can manage that I can guarantee you'll be the star of any Halloween party (shame I haven't thought of it earlier).
But some of the most classic outfits are actually really cool. Morticia Addams is iconic, glamourous and scary in equal parts.
And who could forget Christina Ricci as Wednesday Addams? Wasn't she the coolest kid ever?
I think this year's number one costume is Corpse Bride, I seriously have seen more corpse brides than ever. It can be a really cool outfit, but it has to be really well done.
If you are one of those girls who want to feel always pretty and chic (or if you can't be bothered to work the post-mortem look), you can always get inspired by ever-so-glamourous Veronica Lake in her role in I Married a Witch.
In any case, the most important thing in Halloween is, of course, the athmosphere!



Now I have to go get dressed and light the pumpkins. Happy Halloween!

3 comments:

  1. I've never dressed up for Halloween, it was taboo in my house when I was a kid...and now...well now I'm just boring ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't worry :) I never celebrated halloween for the same reasons you posted and now We just don't have a decent party to wear costumes. But who knows next year :)
    Maybe I'll organize a party myself If I have the time, inspired by this great post of yours! I hope you had an amazing halloween and I bet your costume was just effortless amazing!
    BTW, I recently saw Beetlejuice again and you are right - what an amazing movie!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your lovely comments.