Thursday 21 July 2011

I Want Candy





Now that I'm almost on holiday all I can think of is delicious Spanish food! And that's one of the reasons why I was so happy to see these short films about Ferrán Adriá's restaurant El Bulli in Nowness (absolutely essential culture & style website by the way). To me, Adriá is one of the best universal Spanish symbols; I think all the people from my country are really proud of him: he is smart, he is positive-thinking and he is creative. Many people think all he does is nouvelle cuisine, but he goes so far beyond that! His incredible, 47-course molecular menu often reminds me of Salvador Dalí's latest paintings (in which he divided everything into molecules). Like Dalí's (rather edible) art, Adriá's cuisine is surprising and surreal. It needs to be tried!
Although none of us will be going to El Bulli in the next couple of years. The Catalan restaurant is closing its doors for research (I guess Ferrán Adriá doesn't want to be one of those arrogant luxury chefs who still use the same recipes as in 1984) and it will open only when some interesting results are reached. It's all about artfulness, finesse and excellence for Ferrán- if only all the other industries in Spain were like that- and El Bulli's food is definitely a universal language, a celebration of taste and life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your lovely comments.